Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Before & After - Bedside Tables


Last month, I completed one of my biggest furniture re-dos to date: two gorgeous, curvy bedside tables. When my friend, Monica, first showed me the pic, I knew they would turn out awesome. They were heavy, solid tables with ornate curved fronts and sides. Monica didn't like the finish, the tops had scratches and water stains, and she was looking for a pop of color in her all-brown bedroom.

Here's the before:

And here's the inspiration photo of what Monica wanted the tables to look like:


Monica provided the light blue paint in flat. For the bases, I gave them a light sanding, primed and painted two coats with a brush. But then I ran into problems... Instead of a soft, light distressing, I ended up with peeling paint. 

It was a major headache, but I stripped the bases and drawers completely before starting over. I'm not sure why the primer didn't hold. My only guess is maybe the surface was oily. I've heard about "difficult" pieces. These fit that description. 

Once everything was stripped, I started over. After a soft distressing with a sanding sponge, I used two coats of dark wax. The wax gave the tables a beautiful shine and picked up all the brush strokes. I can't over-emphasize how much better it looks with wax. 

For the tops, I used two coats of dark walnut stain and dark wax. I wish I had better pics of the finished product, but those suckers are heavy, and there are a lot of steps between the little house and where I stage photos. 


Notice the hardware? It's what I used for my whitewashing tutorial here.


So here are the tables again. Monica, if you're reading this, I'd love a pic of them in the room! And if you ever decide to sell them, let me know. They really are gorgeous.

If you're interested in having me refinish a piece of furniture for you, please send me an email at aliciaslittlehouse{at}gmail{dot}com. I typically charge $25/hour plus materials.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. They are absolutely GORGEOUS! You did a fabulous job. By the way, Uncle Joe really loves the coffee table & so do I, so IT'S A KEEPER! I'll get you a check soon. You must stop & see my studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job, I just love them! They are a great shape.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!