Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Repainted Foyer

If you're friends with me on Facebook, you know that a couple of weeks ago, I repainted my foyer... for the fourth time. The problem is that there is so much going on in the space: crazy black/tan patterned flooring, too many doors and chair molding.

I originally painted it yellow-gold on top and grey on the bottom. I liked the color combo, but it didn't flow with the rest of the house. So, on a whim, I took out my leftover gold paint and painted the bottom half. Better. 

I lived with that for a few months. On another whim, I whipped out some Valspar Belvedere Creme that was left over from a furniture project. I painted the bottom half again. Better still. It stayed like that for almost a year. 

I just wasn't feeling the yellow-gold. My living room is a greenish-bluish-grey, the kitchen is a darker blue-green shade, and the study is green. It was too much. My house felt choppy.

So, I started taping up swatches. I tried everything, but nothing looked right. Add the crazy floor tile and a chair rail... ugh! I knew what I had to do, but wasn't painting a room white considered chickening out? Seriously, out of every color in the rainbow, I couldn't find one I liked?

I hurriedly picked up seven swatches of cream/ivory/white at Lowe's while my monkeys attempted to escape the confines of the shopping cart. I selected Muslin Wrap by Valspar. Another trip with the monkeys yielded paint (in an eggshell finish) and a roller. 

Two days of naptimes, and I have a pretty, ivory foyer. I really love it. It's light and airy. 


I'm loving how my Valentine's flowers looked in there. I now want hot pink flowers in every room. 

Here's how it looks from the door. That's my great-grandmother's buffet. It's terribly beat up and scratched. One day, I will get around to refinishing it. My other grandmother gave me a 100-year-old frame that I'm going to have made into a mirror. It will eventually go in here.

Here's our new family sign. I like the way it turned out, but the letters are too dark. Being the perfectionist I am, I always find flaws in my own work. Still, I love the verse, Col. 2:7. 



I also have a chalkboard hanging in there. What do you think about painting the inside of my front door that same shade of blue-green? Too much? I just can't stop...


Here's the whole room. Sorry it's a little blurry. We're eventually going to replace the tile with the same wood that's in the living room. And that popcorn ceiling's gotta go. One thing at a time... At least I like the wall color!

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!