Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chalkboard Paint on Kitchen Cabinets

The chalkboard trend... by now everyone has at least pinned one of these babies on pinterest. (Hopefully one from my etsy shop... hee hee) They're fun and so useful. I just love 'em.

A couple of months ago while finishing up a chalkboard project, I had a moment of brilliance... aka I got distracted. On a whim, I painted the inside of the cabinet doors on my pantry. I didn't sand or prime it. I painted the cabinets last year, so I knew it was a good surface. After two coats and about 15 minutes of work, I have a simple, hidden surface to jot down my weekly menu and grocery list. 



The best part: it's super convenient!

I have an iphone app to manage my grocery list, but many times that's too inconvenient. I end up forgetting what I was supposed to write before I can find my phone. I may be in the middle of fixing dinner and realize I need three things. I just jot it down (usually in my messiest handwriting) and add it on my phone later. The menu is great because I just open the pantry and see what meals options I have. 


Here's another shot of my gorgeous cabinet. I did organize it for these photos... in case you were wondering. :)

I buy my chalkboard paint at Lowe's, but I've also seen small cans of it at Walmart in the craft section. Just make sure you have a good surface for the paint to adhere to. I use a disposable sponge brush or roller and apply two coats.

*Before you use the chalkboard, "season" it by rubbing chalk over the entire surface and erasing it with a dry paper towel or cloth. This will make it easier to erase items.

Let me know if you give this little idea a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!