Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cabbage and Black-Eyed Peas

I've never been a fan of cabbage, but it's tradition, right? Last year I went to a friend's house for New Year's Day, and she served egg rolls. Brilliant!

So, this year I made my own. And they were yummy.



Here's what you'll need:

  • Egg Roll Wraps
  • Cooked chicken or pork, cut into small pieces (I used half a rotisserie chicken)
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 6 green onions, chopped
  • 2 bags coleslaw (or you could cut up a head of cabbage)
  • Can black-eyed-peas, rinsed and drained
  • Light soy sauce
  • 1 Egg white
  • Vegetable oil (for frying)
To begin, put a little oil in a large pan or wok. Saute the onions and carrots on medium heat until soft. Add the meat, beans and one bag of coleslaw. Pour in about 1/4 cup of soy sauce. I don't really measure it, just estimate. Stir until it starts to wilt, then add the other bag. Add more soy sauce if it needs it. (I usually do a taste test.)

Once the filling is done, take an egg roll wrap. Add a couple of spoonfuls in the center, and fold it up. Seal it with a brush of egg whites. The egg rolls can be fried in a skillet, but they taste much better deep fried. I used a Fry Daddy. Make sure the oil is really hot and drop it in. Let it come to a nice brown and flip it over.



Drain it on a plate with paper towels, and you're done! This makes a huge batch. Either plan a party or cut the recipe in half.

This recipe does take a while. I wouldn't consider it a week-night staple, but it's a fun alternative if you want to do something special. In the hour or so it took to clean my kitchen and cook, this is what my children accomplished...



Ummm... that's why most of my dinners take 20 minutes. In case you can't tell, that's just about every toy they could reach pulled out onto the playroom floor. At least they were quiet though. 

My husband and the twins ate it. My daughter tolerated it. So it passed the kid test at my house.

I hope you'll try the recipe, and that you're blessed with health and prosperity in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!