Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 2: Burlap Ruffle Wreath


On the second day of the Christmas craft series, I'm going to share how to make this fun Burlap Ruffle Wreath.

I was inspired when I saw Emily's wreath here, and decided to make my own version for Christmas this year. I added the fun holiday color to give it a big "pop." But you could keep things subtle and natural too.

So, here's what you need...

MATERIALS
Wreath form (I used straw, but a styrofoam would work too)
About 2 yards of burlap
Glue gun and glue sticks
Needle and Thread
Straight pins
Embellishments
Scissors

STEP 1: Cut a long strip of burlap about 2 1/2 inches wide, and cover your wreath form.


If you run out, just cut more. Hot glue the ends onto your wreath, but be careful. That glue soaks right through the burlap. I burned my fingers a few times on this project!

STEP 2: Cut your ruffle strips. I wasn't too exact with these. I made them about 5" by 70". You'll need two long pieces. Now, tie a knot in your burlap and thread one side, bunching it up as you go. This creates the ruffle. Bunch it up until it's the right size for your wreath form.

STEP 3: Pin the burlap to your wreath using the straight pins. Start glueing it down, but be sure to remove the thread as you go. It doesn't look cute left on top of your pretty ruffle!

See my litle helper in the picture! :)

STEP 4: Flip the wreath over and add another ruffle to the other side.

STEP 5: This is where the fun begins... and where I stopped taking pictures. Sorry!

I used wire-edge ribbon and bunched up one side for the red inner ruffle. To make the flowers, I used more wire ribbon and bunched one side up tightly. Then, I wrapped it around itself and secured to the wreath.


Finally, I added a wooden letter from Michael's and attached it with some co-ordinating ribbon.

I love the way this one turned out. It was a fun project that didn't cost a ton of money or take up too much time. I hope you try it out. If so, please share a pic!


Don't forget to check back tomorrow for another fun and super easy craft project: Pinecone Photo Ornaments. 

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!