Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 9: Sheet Music Wreath


It's day 9 of the 12 Days of Crafting. Today's project is a Sheet Music Wreath. I realize there are 100 tutorials for this on the web, but oh well. This was the first time I'd made one, and I will definitely be making more! These can also be made with books. The size of your finish wreath depends on the size of your paper. This one is big... probably 30 inches in diameter. 


MATERIALS:
Sheet music or other paper (I used an old organ book my Mamaw gave me.)
Glue gun and glue
Scissors
Pencil
Forms to trace your circle (I used a bowl and jar lid)
Exacto knife (not shown)
Foam board or other cardboard


STEP 1. Trace your outer circle onto the foam and cut it out. I ended up using a knife because it was so hard to cut through with scissors. Then, trace and cut your inner circle. You should have a doughnut shape. My large circle was about 10" in diameter. 

STEP 2. Make your cones. This takes some practice before you get the hang of it. I found it easiest to hold opposite corners, and cross one over the other. Take your left hand and smooth out the cone while you glue with your right. I glued in a couple of spots. I didn't worry about making these perfect. I just wanted them to be similar in size.

STEP 3. Attach your ribbon and start gluing. I used a stapler to attach my ribbon, but you could also use hot glue. Do this before you start gluing the cones though. To attach the cones, put a few lines of glue on your cardboard and stick your cone, overlapping the end by about 1/2". 


Here's what it looked like after one layer. For the second layer, I cut the paper in half. Put the glue directly onto the cone and set in place in the grooves of the first layer. (Hope that makes sense!) You could add a third layer, but I was happy with it at this point.


I hung mine over an antique mirror in my living room. It's not holiday decor, per se, but I think it's festive, and, most of all, understated. Here's another shot with the Christmas tree in the background.


Tomorrow's project is a holiday card holder, so be sure to check back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!