Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 4: Acorn Wreath


I saw something like this project on Pinterest and wanted to recreate it, but I didn't know where I'd find enough acorns. Then at the park a couple weeks later with my kids, I found a gold mine. There were acorns everywhere!

So I quickly recruited my 4-year-old and twin 2-year-olds to gather as many acorns as possible. And do NOT eat them. The last part was for the twins, not the 4-year-old.

I love the subtle look of this wreath. It's more winter decor than holiday, which I like. It's pretty simple, but I'm not gonna lie to you -- it's time-consuming. I'm going to save mine, though, and use it again next year... that is if I'm still into the natural look next year...

I didn't photograph the materials, but here's the list:

MATERIALS
Styrofoam wreath form
A whole lotta acorns
Brown paint (spray paint or craft paint is ok)
Glue gun and lots of glue sticks
Ribbon for hanging

STEP 1. Paint your wreath brown on all sides. I used craft paint, but if I would have used spray paint if I had it. Let dry completely.

STEP 2. Start gluing acorns. I thought the acorn tops were super cute, so I used only those. They were also pretty easy to work with. You could also use the acorn balls, or make a pattern out of them. I put a few squiggles of glue on a section and added acorns as I went, getting them as close together as possible. Repeat... a lot.

To hang the wreath, I used a shiny silver ribbon and tied it to a mirror in my foyer. I wanted a cranberry color, but couldn't find it. I added two silver wire trees that I've had forever and a tall vase of silver and pearl ornaments. The burlap lamp shade is a project I did last month. I'm planning to share a how-to after the holidays.



For the record, I'm not in love with the yellow on my foyer walls, I'm planning on adding a table runner, and the mirror is hung too high.... A little bit of a perfectionist, maybe?

Check back for another crafty project tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!