Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 7: Poinsettia Pillow


Today, I'm going to share how I made this cute Poinsettia Pillow. At first I wasn't going to do this project, because I didn't want to go to the store. But I actually had everything on hand. I was inspired Miss Mustard Seed's version, however mine is definitely different. 


MATERIALS:
About 3 pieces of ivory (or red) felt
1 piece of mossy green felt
1 piece of gold felt
Sharp scissors
Fabric glue
Linen or other fabric for pillow
Polyester fill 
Thread
Sewing machine (you could do it by hand though)

STEP 1. Cut out your pieces and your pillow. I did three leaves in green, three large white petals, three medium petals, four smaller petals and five gold circles. My large leaves are about 4" tall by 2 1/2" wide. I looked at my real poinsettia for inspiration. Don't worry about making it perfect. Real ones have many different types of leaves. 

For the pillow, I knew I wanted it long and narrow. Mine is 24" x 11". If possible, I suggest attaching the flower before you sew the pillow. 



STEP 2. Lay it out. You definitely want to get a feel for how the pieces look together. Start with the leaves, then the large petals in between, then medium and finally small. For the gold circles, think of a dice. 


STEP 3. Attach your pieces to one side of your pillow. I used Liquid Stitch fabric glue. I really expected to have to sew this on. I didn't think it would really hold. I had to go back after the first coat and reapply in places, but so far it's doing fine. I just applied the glue all over the felt pieces and pressed it onto the fabric. It took about 45 minutes to dry completely. 

STEP 4. Finish your pillow. I'm not going to go into detail about how to make a pillow. Basically, you put two wrong sides together and pin in place. Sew around the edges and backstitch over the ends, leaving about a 5" gap to stuff the pillow. Clip the excess fabric on the corners and turn it right-side-out. Once it's stuffed, had stitch the pillow closed. I actually used a combo of polyester fiber-fill and the stuffing from an old king-sized bed pillow... because I really didn't want to go to the store with all three of my monkeys. :)


And here it is on my couch. It really was a fun little project. I hope you give it a shot. Stay tuned for tomorrow's craft: Scrapbook Paper Garland.


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!