Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I'm Still Spinning


Our Christmas was amazing. My boys are finally "getting it" when it comes to presents. They still get bored after two or three gifts, but it was so much more fun than last year. My 4-year-old appreciated Santa, Rudolph and the traditions of the holiday. They also know the story of Jesus' birth, thanks to our Little People nativity set.

But now it's over... and my house is a state of chaos.



We were very blessed this year to receive so many gifts. But now I have this overwhelming urge to organize and clean everything. I'm serious... the kitchen got a serious scrub yesterday. I swept and mopped the downstairs, caught up on laundry and cleaned bathrooms. Later in the day, I did a quick purge in my closet. I even managed to get a first coat on a piece of furniture I'm painting and design a custom sign. I was a woman on a mission, I tell ya'.

With all the activity, I did take time to get my bearings straight. When I skimp on quiet time with God, my entire day seems out of sync. But when I have a good time in the word, I feel energized and purposeful.

For a long time, I struggled with my "God time." I was inconsistent, and when I tried, I didn't get a lot out of it. I have by no means arrived, but I'd like to share a little about how I approach it.

First, I open my heart to the Lord in prayer. I always ask God to search my heart and point out anything that offends him (Psalm 139:23). I also ask God to open my eyes to see and my ears to hear, so that I can know the truth. I pray that his word would be written on my heart.

Then, I read a short devotional and some scripture. I pray afterward when I have time. Most days I just pray throughout my day. I wish I could do more, but the kids wake up. And I have to deal with this:


Not a bad job, really... I'm truly blessed beyond my wildest dreams. 

I hope you find some God-time today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Doing More Than Laundry!

I also write a blog about design and my furniture business:
The Little House. Check it out!